Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Family is not biological

Family is not only blood relatives. It's the people we choose to be around us for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death (or a military move) do us part. And if we happen to come back together through another military move, then we pick up where we left off.

Barb is a great friend. She's one of the people who knows me better than I know myself, and I love her and have missed her in our time apart. I love her kids like they are my niece and nephew, and am so happy that Barb's ex is allowing me to take them for the weekend.

We in the military community make insta-families. We find ourselves in a new place, and if we happen to know someone already, we think of them as family, someone we can count on, because we know that we can count on them. When Thomas and I first moved to San Diego, we knew Kris and Joe. We counted on them to show us around, and they catered to our need for family. As we expanded our circle of friends, we keep them in the loop because they are family to us, and we to them.

When Barb moved to Oceanside and didn't know many people, we opened our arms and our house to her and her kids until she found her footing, and still stayed available for her as family. We all need family when we are away from our blood relatives. When we need a night out, or when a holiday comes up. Barb is my family and she will stay my family forever.

We miss you Barb, but you're kids know that we are here for them if they need us. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment