Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Soule Mama Banner


Soule Mama has become one of my must-read blogs. (see right for a link) I really like her home made items as well as her outlook on life. She embodies what people really should embody when speaking or writing about being 'green' and treating the earth better. I am not as good as she is when it comes to thrifting items in order to reduce our carbon footprint, but it seems like every week I learn something from her that I plan on introducing into my life.

I read her first book, The Creative Family a few weeks ago, and in it, she describes a banner that she made for festive decoration. If you've ever driven past a car lot, you've seen the typical triangle banner; bright colors to wave and catch your attention. Well this is a fabric version, in which ever fabrics and colors you deem appropriate for the occasion.

Now the back story of where the fabric came from... When I went home for leave right before getting stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I decided to make my then boyfriend (my now husband) a quilt. It was a pretty basic quilt -I'd never read up on how to make one, or had a loved one teach me- so it was just squares sewn together, with a solid back. It was a patriotic quilt which I thought appropriate since we were both in the Navy and quilts aren't very manly, so I wanted him to use it instead of hiding it because it was too girly.

After living in Japan for about a year, I bought patriotic fabric of my own. I wanted to make a quilt for myself. I still haven't gotten around to making it, so I have all this patriotic fabric that's been sitting in various places for years and as soon as Thomas agreed to a going away party, I knew that I would use the fabric to make Soule Mama's banner. I thought it came out well, although I may end up adding to it or making another longer one in the future. But for now it will serve as our Independence Day decoration as well as a Good Bye and Welcome Home banner for Thomas when he deploys. I used my Cricket to cut the letters and pinned them on. This way I can pin any saying on the banner, or just leave it plain.

I encourage you all to make one for birthdays, Christmas or any holiday; It's super easy and will save you from buying crepe paper every year and just throwing it away.

Happy Sunday to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment