Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My (made up) Lasagna





Yesterday I...

Went to the comissary
Gave baby Glenn baby food peaches for the first time
Washed my leather couches (for the first time)
Steam cleaned the carpet around the couches (it's amazing how quickly that carpet gets dirty!)
Did some laundry (like that's something I don't do every day...)
Made lasagna (with a baby on my hip)

When I talked to my brother and then my sister about lasagna, they seemed nonchalant about how easy it was to make. Not the case in my situation. I've made lasagna probably a half a dozen times before, using a recipe each time, finding that it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. I've never used the same recipe twice. Since I've started my path towards vegetarianism, I'm looking for recipes that I can make to fill my family. Ones that can be a main dish, and act like a main dish. I think my husband's idea of vegetarianism is salads and beans. When he comes home he's going to want meat. A lot of meat. Before he left we were eating meat with almost every meal. That's what he'll probably expect when he comes home. And if I don't make these vegetarian dishes with some bulk, he's going to start asking where's the meat.

In comes the lasagna. Since I have made it so many times before, I knew the routine. Noodles, cheese, veggies, tomato sauce. Layered. So I bought some ricotta cheese, no-boil lasagna noodles, a can of Hunts tomato sauce, some spinach, and I already had some frozen breaded eggplant. I layered accordingly, making sure to put sauce in the bottom of the pan as well as with each layer. I also used my sister's trick of pouring extra water in the dish after I was done to give it more moisture. I topped it off with some shredded motzrella, covered with foil and baked at 350 for 45 minutes, took off the foil and then baked for another 15 minutes.

Voila! A lasagna I actually like!

1 comment: