Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Taco Pie



Starting from a very young age, I enjoyed Taco Pie for dinner made by my mother. It was a regular in our meal planning, allowing us the rarity of drinking pop for dinner and having Doritos as a side dish. As a picky eater back then, I would scrape away the tomatoes, forgo the sour cream in favor of the meat, cheese and Doritos topping. I have since gotten over my picky nature (for the most part) and now eat the entire thing, although I don't put tomatoes on mine. Taco Pie also seems to bring back memories for some of my friends, I've had exclamations from friends in the Navy who's family had taco pie growing up. Here is the recipe for it so you can enjoy it too!

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 lg. tub sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package crescent rolls
1 bag Doritos
1 tomato
1 cup shredded lettuce or baby spinach
Pie plate

Heat oven to 375.
cook ground beef on the stove and add taco seasoning when done per package instructions. Shred cheese, dice tomatoes and shred lettuce if they aren't already shredded and diced.
Spray the pie plate with PAM. Using the crescent rolls, cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
Crush a handful of chips and sprinkle in the bottom of the dish.
Layer in order: Ground beef, sour cream, crushed chips.
Place in oven for 25 minutes. When done, add lettuce and tomatoes. Serve hot with Doritos's and a side dish.

Home made guacamole always goes well with this dish. My friend Jasmin first explained how to make guacamole to me when I was living in Japan. Since then, I've tweaked it to my liking. Here is my recipe that I change each time I make it. The ingredients stay the same (usually) but quantities differ as to how many people I'm serving and what I have on hand. The following recipe is for two avocados and 2-4 people.

Ingredients:
Avocados (one per person unless there are more side dishes, then start with two and add one per two people after)
Lime juice (I use the bottled variety so that I don't have to remember limes each time I go shopping)
Fresh garlic
Onion or onion powder
Salt and pepper (I prefer coarse fresh-ground pepper)
Sour cream
Fresh cilantro

Into a medium mixing bowl, add as follows (in any order you like):

Halve the avocados and scoop out meat into mixing bowl.
Crush or chop garlic (I use a garlic press from Pampered Chef)
Dice 1/4 onion to desired chunks or 1 tbs onion powder
Add several shakes of salt and several rounds of pepper
1 tb lime juice
2 dollops of sour cream
about 1 tbs diced cilantro

Mix with a fork until everything is blended. You will probably have some avocado chunks, but that's a tasty treat for whomever gets them.

Use corn chips and expect lots of compliments!

Tip: Ever wonder why your guacamole browns? It's the oxidation. Use saran wrap or foil to cover the guacamole allowing no air. The next day you should have green guacamole. :)

1 comment: