Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bum Genius Snap Conversion

It only took seven months, but it's finally started. I have begun to change out my velcro closure Bum Genius 3.0 diapers to snap closure!! It was a long process for me, but doesn't have to be for you if you are thinking about doing the same.

Step one was to figure out what tools I needed to do the conversion. After a little research I found out that I needed either a snap press or snap pliers. You can get either from KAM Snaps. (clicking on the link will take you directly to the page you need to be on to buy what I have- the press) I read a lot of reviews on both the press and pliers, and a lot of people who used the pliers said they wished they had spent the money for the press, so that's why I chose the press.

Step two was to purchase the press. Now, it's a pretty penny, so I did my homework and went to the website several-er hundreds- of times to make sure that this was indeed the tool I needed. Then it took the act of actually checking out and paying. I was worried that I would miss something and end up with everything I needed sans one small yet important part. Turns out, there is a check list on the KAM website to help us novices order everything we need. I ordered three items- the press, the dyes, and the snaps. Then... I got a disclosure that said that the presses were out of stock and mine wouldn't ship for a month. *pouting face* But who cares about an extra month when it had taken me over four months just to order the darn thing??

It came in the mail the day before we left for SC. So along with drooling over my sewing lesson with Madeline (see blog below if you're interested in that story) I was also excited yet scared about my new adventure with the snap press. I mean, this thing is a weapon if ever you saw one. It has to weigh at least fifteen pounds and [as you will see below] is taller than my sewing machine.

On to more steps...

Step three was to figure out how to put the monster together (I've decided to call mine Sully because it's big and blue just like the main character of Monsters Inc.). Thank you to and their plethora of how-to videos. I found this one on how to put together Sully (which is a good thing too because I practically failed the portion of the ASVAB where you put machines together. This one was super easy, but like I said, I suck at machines and figuring out how they work).

Step four (which I did before step three but came back to again after step three) is to figure out how to do the conversion. This great video helped me out in that aspect.

Viola!! I have one diaper converted and will be working on the rest of them over the next week or two.

P.S. Happy Mothers Day to all you moms out there!

P.P.S. Christine, you can send me your diapers and I'll do them quicker than you can say "Sully the blue giant"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment