Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yes, Yes I Do.

Yesterday I had several friends over for a brunch. I make a big breakfast one day of the weekend every weekend, but since Thomas has been gone I can't validate all that food for just Genny and I. I invited everyone I usually invite, but at the last minute I let everyone with small kids know that Genny was sick, so if they didn't feel up to getting some germs, they may want to stay home. Everyone with small kids opted out, so there were less people than I had anticipated, but that's OK. In the end it was a great day with great food. I made home made waffles, home made scones, and a home made quiche.

Scones are something that I want to like. As odd as it sounds, there are certain foods that I just have this... desire to like. Example: When I was growing up I didn't like shrimp. It didn't taste good. But something in me wanted to like shrimp. Every opportunity I got, I would eat shrimp. One here, one there. Eventually I started liking shrimp. Scones are on my list of food items I want to like. I love the ones from Starbucks, all lemony and sugary, but as it turns out, not all are sugary. So sometimes when I eat a scone I don't necessarily like it. In the hopes that I would like one that I made, I decided that instead of making pancakes for the brunch I'd make scones. I found a recipe in The Martha Stewart Cookbook and decided to make those. I thought, "What's better than a blueberry scone?"

I made them. I detoured from the recipe (those of you who know me know that I will never in my life follow a recipe or crafting instructions to a T). It called for buttermilk. But I had a sick daughter and didn't want to go out, so I found a substitute online (one tbs of white vinegar and then add milk until it's 1 cup). I also didn't have a three inch round pastry cutter. But I did have a large star cookie cutter my sister gave me one year for Christmas... I made the scones. I ate the scones. I wasn't quite sure if I liked the scones.

I've made up my mind. I like them. The recipe calls for zero sugar, so I think next time I'll sprinkle sugar on top before I cook them. I'm not sure why it took me a day to realize that I liked them, but every time I had one, I would think, is this what they are supposed to taste like? I think I was being too critical and not letting them work their own magic on me.




P.S. The plate is a Christmas gift from my wonderful sister. My mother, sister and I have a love of Carl Spork's pottery and we can not get enough of it. (I tried to put a link in for his website, but alas, he does not have one. So if you want to check out some of his pottery, his business is called The Brisling
Pottery and you can google it and find images.)

No comments:

Post a Comment