Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fruit Flat

I was at my sister's house the first time I saw a fruit flat. It seemed like a fruit roll up, but thicker and tastier. Since then I've purchased them a few times from Henry's, but at about fifty cents each (for a flat a little over half the size of a deck of cards) it's hard for me to validate the purchase. Plus it's a sticky snack, and I'm not fond of sticky snacks unless it's a controlled environment like in a high chair where I can clean the hands before Genny touches anything in the house.

One day while reading a soulemama blog post I came across a recipe for a fruit flat. I was amazed how easy it seemed and decided that one day I would make one. Well today was the day! I used three pears (I would have used four, but Mister Man was too hungry to wait) plus I wasn't very confident that this first batch would work out too well, so I'd rather not waste too many pears.

I got the recipe from here

But here's what I did differently... Since I still have yet to order a new pitcher for my blender, I didn't puree the pears. I used a fork to get them as close as mushed as possible. And my oven's lowest setting is 250, so that's what setting I put it on. I added about a tablespoon of sugar and a splash of lemon juice (from the bottle) when I was simmering the pears.

Like I said, n I baked it at 250 for about four hours. Apparently it was too long...


Oh well, I'll try again. Maybe I'll try a different was of drying it out. We'll see what the future brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment