Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Friday Favorite: Rechargeable Batteries


As with any 'green' product, it's an investment in the beginning, but worth it in the long run. I started using rechargeable batteries when I came home from the Navy and saw that my mom was using them. I started thinking about how many batteries I buy and use and that they all end up in the land fill because I, like most Americans would throw my batteries into the garbage, knowing in the recesses of my brain that I'm supposed to dispose of them in a different manor, but knowing in the more frontal portion that to do so would be too much of an inconvenience.

With all of the green choices I make, it crept into my thoughts frequently, until one day I bought the starter kit that came with a charger (which took 12 hours) and 4 AA batteries. I've since upgraded to a 15 minute charger and have over 30 AA and 30 AAA batteries. The smoke detector is about the only thing that we don't use rechargeable batteries for. Of course the toys we get have the regular batteries in them until they run out, and then we buy more rechargeable batteries to replace those. The cost of a package of 4 AA batteries is around $7. But they last for years which ends up paying for itself over time.

Duracell has rechargeable batteries, but I find that Energizer has more of a selection and are in almost every store.

Like stated in my last Friday Favorites blog, I don't get any sort of endorsement for these products, they are just ones that I love. You may feel different, but they work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment