Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cleaning

When I sat down to blog today I ran a blank as to what to blog about. After thinking about what I did today, I decided to blog about cleaning today. And not just any cleaning, green cleaning. (of course)

Since about 2004 I've been conscious of what I use to clean my house. I researched different environmentally safe ways to clean and found that vinegar is a wonderful cleaning agent. In fact, when I lived in Iwakuni, I rarely used anything besides vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice to clean. Still today I prefer the clean scent of vinegar to the chemical scent of most cleaning products. I still use vinegar when washing my kid's diapers, or cleaning the toilet bowl. And I'll try out baking soda with the diapers in the next wash.

Now that I'm back in the states, I have more choices of environmentally friendly cleaning agents than I did in Japan. I currently have Seventh Generation all purpose cleaner that I use on my tile, and from their website they claim that they are not only Kosher-certified, but do not test on animals, non-toxic and biodegradable. These seem like good things to me, so I'm happy using this product. Another product that I am fond of is Melaluca. My sister stumbled upon this product line which features the melaluca plant as a cleaning agent. Even though I tried to find this slogan but didn't, I can only quote my sister that you can drink a whole bottle of the cleaner and the worst that will happen is some diarrhea. This was the feature that she liked most about it, and rightly so. She sends me Sol-u-mel sometimes which is a concentrated cleaning agent used for stains (in the concentrate form) or normal cleaning (diluted). I love the clean un-harsh smell that this product leaves behind.

As you go to grab your cleaner, think about what you're putting into the air in your home as well as down the drain. There are plenty of eco-friendly options out there that you can choose from, just do a little bit of research. Who knows, you may end up spending less on cleaning products once you do a little bit of research and choose the right products for you and your family.

*Tip- Put some ice down your disposal drain, then squirt some lemon juice (or cut up lemon) and turn on. It will clean your disposal!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I read that quote years ago in one of their monthly brochures. I love being able to clean around my kids and not have to worry that it's dangerous for them.

    ReplyDelete