Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Merry Kari- Soule Salsa!

Yesterday I made salsa. It may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but in all of my 30 years on this earth I've never cooked with tomatoes, so yesterday was an interesting day. The recipe came from Amanda Soule's newest book, The Rhythm of Family. If you haven't caught her blog, here is a link. It's one of my favorite blogs to read.

I first had the idea to make salsa because my husband loves it. It's his go-to snack/meal as long as we have some in the house, so it seemed like a no-brianer to make some for him. I just made it yesterday, so he'll try it today and let me know if it's good enough to give away for Christmas gifts. I hope it is, because I already promised my brother I'd send him a jar...

I jarred it the same was I do jam. I even added pectin at the last minute because the store-bought salsa we have in the house listed it as an ingredient. And this way if it's not good enough to give away, we'll be able to save it for chili and use it up over the next several months.

If you decide to make salsa, my suggestion to you is this: wait for a good sale on tomatoes. My local Sprouts had Roma tomatoes on sale for $0.69/lb so that's when I got my tomatoes for the salsa.






Here's hoping you do well with your salsa if you're planning on making any!

No comments:

Post a Comment